San Luis Obispo, CA
Job Title: Communications Systems Field Technician
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
This position is responsible for the accurate installation of customer premise equipment and the required low-voltage telephone wiring connections.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install telecommunication equipment including but not limited to the following:
- Switches, Modems, Routers
- Voice over IP telephones
- Perform telecom work to include cabling, jack and equipment installation, dial-tone troubleshooting and cross-connections to phone systems / equip.
- Knowledge of installation and maintenance of video surveillance systems
- Must have general knowledge of paging systems
- Provide customer service by receiving and responding to customer service orders in a timely manner
- Completes appropriate reports and documents job status.
- Includes Voice over IP Telephone Site Survey Reports and Telecom Bids
- Assist other technicians and Maintenance personnel with troubleshooting and repairs as needed to ensure ongoing customer service
- Install VoIP phones and train customers on the features
- Some overtime may be required as circumstances dictate.
- Works with our in-house engineers and technicians to insure proper installations.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required to fulfill job function or assigned.
Company Wide Duties and Responsibilities: Health, Safety, Security:
- Responsible for following policies and procedures related to health, safety and
security, identifying potential risks, and communicating known hazards.
- Position requires the use of company vehicle and insurance, candidate must have a clean driving record.
- Candidate must pass a background check and be Bondable.
Skills, Experience, and Education:
- Flexibility to handle multiple tasks, follow a schedule, and adapt to change
- Strong communications skills both verbal and written
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team environment
- Maintain an organized work environment and keep company vehicle clean.
- Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to assert oneself in a positive
- Conduct self in a professional businesslike manner.
- Pay close attention to detail, instructions, and schedules.
- Strong desire for excellence in work product
- Knowledge of the installation, operation, repair and use of telecommunication equipment
- Experience in telecommunication equipment installation and / or, basic telephone wiring skills including CAT5e, CAT6 and proper installation and termination, color codes.
- Must be proficient with hand tools and familiar with telecom wiring tools i.e.: punch-down tools, can wrenches
- Must be proficient in the use of LAN test equipment, i.e. wiremap testers, TDR, Speedtest etc.
- Basic knowledge of wireless networks and PTP to PTP or PTP to MPTP antennas
- Experience with Fiber Optics is desirable
- High School diploma or equivalent plus specialized training in appropriate areas to perform duties and responsibilities outlined above
Position Reporting Relationship
- You report to the following:
- Field Operations Manager
- Internal Relationships (People with whom you interact):
- Employees and Managers within every department
- External Reporting Relationships:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to adverse weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places, and confined spaces.
- Physical Demands:
- Possess oral communications skills and appropriate hearing acuity.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds on an infrequent basis
- Must be able to bend, kneel and ambulate up and down stairs and ladders
- Mental Demands:
- Must take the initiative to resolve problems, handle conflict, make effective decisions in a timely and courteous manner, accept responsibility, and actively plan and organize work.
- Requires the ability to be attentive, accurate and maintain concentration and be able to learn a variety of tasks.
- Possess the initiative to stay current on skills and industry standards.
- Work effectively in stressful situations.
- Must be flexible in both transferring skills to other areas and performing a
variety of duties.
Job Type: Full-time